
It is official. We are the Raven 5 Creepers. This has been confirmed by our sponsor. It began when we noticed that the most oft uttered phrase within our team was "you are such a creeper!" and escalated when our sponsor (who is fairly eccentric himself) actually commented on our collective creepiness. There are few boundaries that we have yet to have violated with not even the shower remaining sacred. For example last week I was asked to stand in the boys' bathroom to chat with Rob while he showered. Yesterday all the girls packed into the communal shower room so that Rob was trapped behind his curtain until we all left. We offered to bring him his towel but he said he preferred to walk around naked and would wait for us to leave so that he could still enjoy his moment.
Alright I have so many random updates so this is going to jump around:
-We are doing trail maintenance work this week in W. Virginia which is mostly raking and lopping and moving logs. To get to work we have a 30-45 minute commute. And by commute I mean hike. I have to hike uphill to get to work and the hike gets longer everyday as we move along and clear the trail. FML. This wouldn't be so bad except I am the largest, slowest member of the team and they have a "Leave no member behind!" policy so they all have to stop every 200 ft to wait for me. ack. Also, for those that don't know, I lack grace in every aspect of life and fell really hard on my knee almost two weeks ago and messed it up so I'm also hiking with a bum knee, which is what everyone else kindly blames for my tortoise pace. I am not quite so delusional.
-While we're on the subject of graceful, this weekend I split my thumb open while cutting frozen meat for the fire. To add to this carelessness on my part, we also neglected to bring the first aid kit camping with us in the middle of the property this weekend so Josh had to run back the 20 minute hike to the lodge to get a medical bag all the while I'm bleeding profusely all over the picnic table. It's a pretty nasty cut but the skin flap is still there so it's slowly knitting back together...but it lined up wrong so it looks kinda weird with gaps on one side and overlap on the other.
-I have now peed in the woods!! This is actually related to our work site because of the 45 minute hike the only place to go is to step off the trail and drop trou. Kendra has extensive experience with this and taught both myself and EJ the proper technique. I understood and stepped away to do my thing, but EJ needed a live demonstration. As I stood on the trail to be the look out, EJ and Kendra squatted next to each other. Kendra clearly articulated the need to HOLD ON to a tree but EJ leaned a little too far back and sat directly in her puddle. I don't know what more to say about that except I probably scared the two members 100 yds ahead of us on the trail with my resonating laughter. EJ just pulled her pants up and continued working, what a trooper.
-Of all people, I was chosen for the first random drug test of the year. (What a waste, right?) Only 6 people are chosen out of 210 and all of us were from the Raven unit (there are 3 units). Also since they're confidential we're supposed to go alone, but they cheated and had me riding with one other person. And if you like improbability statistics here's the set-up: of all the 22 year old females that get pulmonary embolisms from birth control in America (not very many...) there are 2 that are in AmeriCorps, on the Perry Point Campus (240 people), on the Raven Unit (70 people), chosen for the random drug screening (6 people), and riding in the same van to get to the drug test (2 people). Please, tell me, what are the odds?

I look like I know what I'm doing, right?

Cutting frozen meat never ends well.
ReplyDeletemeasure twice, cut once
ReplyDeleteLove that she needed a live demonstration! and that the other girl was ok with that... lol.
ReplyDeletePlease, buy a lottery ticket now - with your talent for overcoming the odds, you should be a big winner!
ReplyDeleteyou did say you were looking for more comments, right?
ReplyDeleteyay comments! And I don't know about that lottery ticket, I beat the odds a lot, but my luck is all over the place. My thumb is healing nicely though...
ReplyDelete