Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Oh good, the boys want to get the groceries! Wait...crap.

Lesson learned: When boys are given the arduous task of buying groceries for the 9 person team for the week this is what you get---Steak-ems, Kool-aid and 3 bags of Doritos.
Day 1- we run out of Deli meat for our pack lunches. (We didn't have work this day...)
Day 2- All the chips are gone and we realize all the apples they bought are rotten.
Day 3- All meat is gone as well as the tortillas, salsa and most of the cheese.
Day 4- today. I ate a banana for lunch and refried beans for supper. mmmm.
Day 5- We enforce a mandatory bread and water fast.
Day 6- Anorexia becomes a reality.
Day 7- We succumb to delirium.
Day 8- We eat the weakest member of the team.
Day 9- Bad idea: we all get dysentery and die before we realize that today was the day our budget is refreshed and groceries are once again available.

Never again...

---------------------------

Speaking of ridiculous boys I have another Rob story. I had heard from several team members about the infamous "String Incident" so I decided to follow up and get an explanation from Rob himself. So the basics of the incident are that one day Rob was in the kitchen with teammate Kendra when a pained look crossed his face and he retreated to the bathroom and shared the events of his adventure with Kendra.
Rob & Kendra are super close btw. Obviously as shown in this picture.

Apparently, among other things, a long string was a central component of that which was evacuated. Kendra was content to leave it at that and was sufficiently disturbed. I, however, am an ever-curious being. In the most innocent manner I could affect I asked Rob how he had accidentally swallowed a string of that length and in true Rob fashion he shrugged and replied "I was bored." ......

---------------------------



Before we came to Baltimore for our 4th and final project we were allowed a 4 day weekend which constituted our "Fall Break." For mine I decided to invite my mother out to meet me in DC and have a lovely weekend showing her the sights. Well, it was indeed quite lovely and there was much walking and museum viewing. However. The entire 4 days I was plagued again and again with the same annoyance.

Automatic flushing toilets.

I just reached over to grab my purse, why did you flush!?! Why is my entire undercarriage damp with toilet water? Why does it have to spit angrily at my behind?? Is this a bidet in disguise? Because if it is then let me tell you, I imagined the water to be a little less, well, ...infused with urine.
There were times when my toilet would flush 3 times before I was actually ready to exit the stall. I'm sorry, I don't practice perfect posture on the toilet! Now, my theory is that I cannot be the only person with this issue. Automatic toilets cause more harm than good. In fact, I find that I am perfectly capable of flushing my own toilet when I'm finished with my business.

My solution is this: Hire a person to check the stalls at fixed intervals to flush any toilets that have been soiled by the lazies and incompetents that can't manage to grasp the concept of turning around and depressing a lever to wash away the evidence of their visit. Not only would this save money (Minimum wage vs. water and energy costs of incessantly flushing toilets) it would be ecologically responsible to flush a toilet only when necessary and not wasting precious water every time someone reaches into their purse for a tampon.

-----------------------
P.S. First project in Baltimore? Digging rain gardens for 4 days! If reading Holes didn't convince you that digging large holes in the ground isn't as fun as kids seem to think, let me assure you, Louis Sachar wasn't exaggerating about the pain and the blisters and blood. But I can't imagine that it would be in any way possible for a kid to dig 5 feet deep and 5 feet wide everyday. 3 of us couldn't even dig 3 feet deep and 10 feet wide in a day...and then, oh and then, we had Physical Training after work. Once again in this program we ask Why, why, why??

5 comments:

  1. I just read your whole blog, and I lahv it. Update when you can, because I'll be reading it! I'm a lil thang that just got accepted into class Perry Point XVII. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be fair, the boys from Holes were mostly ex convicts, so I imagine they were quite buff and could dig holes like that.

    I miss you Heather! Can't wait to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a completely balanced diet to me. Get in your delicious high caloric foods, then fast until you have lost the weight you gained by eating said foods. (would this be a form of anorexia because you're starving yourself, or bulimia because of the bingyness? hmmm... anyway. I have the same problem with automatic toilets!! And it doesn't take me twenty days to pee, so i don't get it. Also, Brian, have you seen holes? They weren't exactly the built, iron pumping, kind of ex cons lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's see, starvation and dysentery... are you sure you aren't traversing the Oregon Trail instead of the Eastern Seaboard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex-Thank you for reading and congratulations on being accepted at Perry Point!!

    ReplyDelete